Friday, December 31, 2010

Tutorial: SLICE Tilt Coffee Table by PRD Miniatures


I am in love with PRD Miniatures' SLICE Tilt Coffee Table. The table costs $65 finished but you can also buy the kit for only $35.

Here are some photos of the kit and how it is assembled. The kit comes as one piece for the table, plus the acrylic top (pictured in final shots above). Each section is individually numbered. I used an exacto knife to cut out the two tiny connectors between each piece and then laid them out numerically. (Everything is laser cut, I just used the knife to separate the pieces from the thin wood page they come on.)


I started with the smallest piece of the table and the first leg, then added the rest of the rectangular table pieces. Then I started adding the rest of the legs numerically around the table base. At one point I wish I had three hands, but once I got the hang of it, it went together easily.


After assembling the table, I double checked everything was pushed into place and then spray painted it silver. Make sure you follow the directions on the spray paint can - mask, well ventilated area, drop cloth for over spray. I did several light coats of paint from every direction to avoid globbing on too much. In between coats I'd let it dry about 15-20 minutes. Once I got the coverage I wanted, I let it dry 24 hours as per the instructions on the spray paint can. The dried paint helps hold any loose legs together. Enjoy!

SLICE Tilt Coffee Table $65
SLICE Tilt Coffee Table Kit $35
Sense of accomplishment after assembling something so beautiful... Priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mini Me
    It's hard not to love. Structurally and architecturally, its even more amazing in person. Cool blog, I hadn't seen it yet. I love your books. I look forward to following your blog. :)
    MMH

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.